Normally the value of what we provide is measured in thanks, changed lives and word of mouth reviews. Therefore, it is important for us to assess the financial contribution that Highway House delivers to the public sector with the view that it serves to encourage further investment into similar models. Research conducted by the Institute for Health and Human Development (IHHD), University of East London examined the economic value to society of Highway House and its services including shelter, signposting to housing, employment and health services, psychological counselling and healthcare support using the Social Return on Investment framework. The report found that Highway House was able to achieve the following benefits for the majority of its residents:
- Effectively enhance the quality of life of its residents by improving their mental and physical health
- Reduce offending rate among residents, thus, averting funds that would have been spent to manage criminal activities in the borough
- Improve resident's self-esteem
- Provide an environment to build social capital
- Avert spending from several government revenues
THE REPORT CONCLUDES THAT FOR EVERY £1 INVESTED INTO HIGHWAY HOUSE, £5 ARE RETURNED TO SOCIETY IN THE FORM OF SAVINGS TO THE PUBLIC SECTOR.
We gratefully acknowledge the work and efforts of Dr Marcello Bertotti and Ruby Farr Adedamola Akinbode along with the many UEL students who assisted in the research. Read the full REPORT here
Make a DONATION to Highway House CONTACT US for more about the Highway House model, offers of support or funding.